The idea of doing shibori with velvet has been a bit of a worrisome thing for me. I have found little information about it and was so afraid I would set so many wrinkles into the fabric that it would be ruined. The nap of velvet can be so touchy. I wanted to try it so much though that I decided to throw cautioin to the wind and just try it. After all, what could happen? A half a yard of velvet and a bit of time wasted, thats it.
So I did it, and let me tell you, the results were splendid indeed. I did one piece with clamps and the other with several traditional methods of shibori tyeing. Both worked wonderfully with the only problem at all being a few very small holes at the points of a few of the paisleys. I think the string I used was a little too heavy for the work. I have heard ribbon dental floss is an excellent item to use for this so my next experiments I will be using it.
This is a very time consuming craft, but one with such beautiful results that I think it well may be worth it.
I have been busy with several other projects this week also. I will try to post some pics about them later. Have a great weekend!