Over the last several weeks I have been working off and on with some storage solutions in my kitchen. I started out planning on only a few types of jars and a smaller set of shelves but when I went to buy the wood for the shelves I found these great white shelves that worked perfect for my needs. The only problem being that they were twice as wide as my jars so I couldn't see wasting all that space. I mulled it over for awhile and came up with a solution.
First off I had these bigger old Nutella jars that would work perfect to add even more storage (who doesn't love MORE storage?) I wanted them to be raised up a bit though so I could see what is in the jars in the back.
The problem was that the shelves will only support a certain amount of weight. Whatever I did had to be very lightweight. I finally came up with an idea that I thought would work and still look ok
First I made these cores out of styrofoam packing pieces, I made them wide enough for the jars by taping pieces together and high enough that you could read the labels of the jars from behind the first row of jars.
Then I took an old white box I had and cut out a piece to wrap the foam cores. I simply taped the ends closed for now, though later I will glue them and spray paint them Living way out on a mountain means not going to the hardware store often so that must wait, but I wanted to show you how they looked on the shelves
They turned out perfect! Nice and sturdy with the cores of foam inside but light enough that they really add no weight at all to the shelves. As it is I am right on the edge of the weight limits with these so it was just what I needed.
Now I went ahead and wrapped the lids of some of the bigger jars in the back with Washi Tape in red. Then I decided maybe I would like them with the red and then some of the black and white on top of the red so i did a few like that.
I can't decide which I like better! Maybe I will just mix them up a bit :)
I also put a larger shelf below the herb shelf and found some nice big jars that I printed labels for and put the sugar, flour and almond flour into, and I have a few tea canisters there.
And while we were visiting over in Munster Valley a few weeks back I picked up this sweet picture to go on the wall between the two.
So there you have it, my solution to no pantry. I think it turned out really well. The open shelves help to give the room a feeling a space and I love that I can see exactly what I need to pick up at the store in a glance! *note to self ~ pick up more dried cranberries!
I hope you liked how they turned out, I sure do.
I can't wait till June when we will be tearing out the old sink below this and adding a new counter top that will be raised up a bit so we don't break our backs every time we wash dishes.
Frenchie and I are both quite tall so we can use a bit of help there.
And no worries, I will be sure and show you the finished project.
I will be so glad when this kitchen is done but every thing we do brings us a bit closer!
Hope your week is going well,